By Gherf Monster
1. CANNABIS MUST BE REMOVED FROM THE DRUG SCHEDULE IN NORTH AMERICA COMPLETELY. Not moved to Schedule II, or even down to Schedule V, but removed completely. Nicotine is not on the schedule, nor is alcohol, two of the most damaging substances in the world. Hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup also pose a much larger health threat than cannabis, yet they are prevalent. In shorter, simpler words, cannabis must be legalized.
2. CANNABIS IS MEDICINE FOR MANY. It needs to be respected as such with privacy, scientific testing, and full support from the medical community.
3. ALL CITIZENS MUST BE ALLOWED TO GROW AND BREED CANNABIS FOR PERSONAL USE. In much the same way as cit izens are allowed to brew their own beer, grow their own tobacco, or own a wine vineyard, it is important that these rights reach to cannabis and hemp. This is also important because the diversity of genetics must be maintained and not controlled by the government or corporations.
4. CITIZENS CURRENTLY SERVING TIME IN PRISON JAIL OR THROUGH OTHER PROBATIONARY MEASURES FOR POSSESSION OF CANNABIS AND/OR PARAPHERNALIA MUST BE RELEASED AND EXONERATED, AND HAVE ALL RECORDS OF THESE ACTS EXPUNGED. Too many resources are used to capture and incriminate people who are otherwise law abiding and decent. The cost to the legal system is enormous, and is most often detrimental to the lives of those caught. The damage done to a person by the legal system far outweighs the damage done to that person by the use of cannabis. Prisons are over capacity and the courts are clogged with petty drug offenses.
5. THE PROPAGANDA AND DISINFORMATION SPREAD BY THE GOVERNMENT, ITS OFFICERS, PROTECTORS, ELECTED OFFICIALS, AND EDUCATORS MUST STOP. Only through double-blind scientific study, nonpartisan and nonbiased statistical data collection, and a complete repeal of the lies and propaganda spread for generations can cannabis be looked at with-out judgment. Much study has been done already, but there is so much more to do.
6. CANNABIS IS NOT FOR CHILDREN AND SHOULD BE KEPT OUT OF SCHOOLS, UNLESS A MEDICAL NEED IS OBVIOUS. Whilecannabis is far less dangerous than other substances, it is important that our youth have a fair chance at quality educa-tion and emotional/psychological development, which are most easily accomplished with a clear mind and accurate, hon-est teaching. This will allow the youth to make their own, well-informed, good decisions when they are older.
7. CANNABIS AND HEMP MUST BE UTILIZED IN ALL INDUSTRIES FOR WHICH THEY ARE HELPFUL. From paper and fiberto bio-fuels, medicine, and food, the uses for this plant are well known and abundant. As fossil fuels dwindle, forests disappear, and farmers struggle to make ends meet, it is blindingly apparent that we can and should look toward cannabis as an alternative source of fuel, fiber, food, income, medicine, and more.
8. CANNABIS SALES SHOULD BE TAXED. Too many shortfalls in our governments exist, and we must rely on new tax rev-enue to help. Our tax dollars from a well-run and modestly regulated cannabis industry, coupled with the complete elim-ination of the associated criminality and the failing War on Drugs, has the potential to shift and propel the economy of the entire planet.
9. THE TRUTH ABOUT WHY CANNABIS IS (OR HOPEFULLY WAS) ILLEGAL MUST BE TOLD AND ADMITTED TO BY THE POWERS THAT KEPT IT ILLEGAL.
As the health consequences and addiction possibility for cannabis are relatively minimal, and other, more damaging substances are not only legal, but advertised and readily pushed, it is imperative that the truth about why cannabis is illegal be brought to light. The threat that legalized cannabis poses to other industries is obvious, and the lobbying power of these industries is nearly infinite. Below is a list of industries that stand to lose money, busi-ness, and power if cannabis is legalized (in no particular order):
Drug Enforcement Agencies
Healthcare Privatized prisons
10. SCIENTIFIC STUDY, COMPASSION, AND OPEN DISCUSSION ARE THE METHODS BEST USED TO SET LAWS, INFORM THE PUBLIC, AND SOLVE PROBLEMS. These methods must be put to use regarding all things, especially cannabis.